A reprint of a post of mine from November 2006. Seems some folks need reminding. Posting a comment here is a privilege, not a right. And refusing to be respectful to others is one sure way to get banned.
- An advocate of democracy.
- One who believes in social equality or discounts distinctions in rank.
- Democrat A member of the Democratic Party.
[French démocrate, back-formation from démocratie, democracy. See democracy.]
- Of, characterized by, or advocating democracy: democratic government; a democratic union.
- Of or for the people in general; popular: a democratic movement; democratic art forms.
- Believing in or practicing social equality: “a proper democratic scorn for bloated dukes and lords” (George du Maurier).
- Democratic Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Democratic Party.
democratically dem‘o·crat‘i·cal·ly adv.
Note the difference. Democrat is a noun. Democratic is an adjective. Now, do I need to define nouns and adjectives as well?