Financial reports for the November 5th election were due Monday. The reporting period covers 7/1/2013 – 8/31/2013. The amounts below were compiled from The Virginia Public Access Project and the State Board of Elections. The candidates are listed in alphabetical order.
A few notes:
- Receipts. The financial reports include as receipts cash contributions, in-kind contributions, and loans. In-kind contributions are payments made by others on behalf of the candidate, and are reflected on the expense side as in-kind expenses. I think loans artificially inflate a candidate’s receipts, so I note these when I see them.
- Number of donors. Some people believe this shows the strength of the campaign, so I’ve included the count.
- Disbursements. SBE calls these expenditures, VPAP calls them expenses. I call them disbursements because they include more than just expenses, including loan repayments. (“Expenditures” actually has a specific meaning within the context of governmental accounting.) On the cash basis of accounting, it’s receipts and disbursements 😉
- Cash on hand. If there are outstanding loans, the cash on hand includes them. So to get a better sense of the cash, I’m providing a separate amount of the outstanding loans that are included in the balance. Also, for the statewide contests, I’m providing both beginning and ending cash balances. It makes it a little easier to see the change in the candidate’s cash position.
On to the numbers!
- Ken Cuccinelli (R) – Beginning cash $2,652,588, receipts $5,688,220 (including $3,791,230 in-kind) from 10,304 donors, disbursements $6,106,440, ending cash $2,234,369
- Terry McAuliffe (D) – Beginning cash $6,012,697, receipts $7,355,244 (including $1,142,773 in-kind) from 7,532 donors, disbursements $8,357,719, ending cash $5,010,223
- Robert Sarvis (L) – Beginning cash $2,002, receipts $27,324 (including $1,454 in-kind) from 399 donors, disbursements $10,218, ending cash $19,109
- E. W. Jackson (R) – Beginning cash $92,398, receipts $303,220 (including $38,092 in-kind) from 2,060 donors, disbursements $244,872, ending cash $150,747
- Ralph Northam (D) – Beginning cash $106,184, receipts $446,054 (including $37,469 in-kind) from 971 donors, disbursements $168,401, ending cash $383,837
- Mark Herring (D) – Beginning cash $127,680, receipts $547,391 (including $54,637 in-kind) from 1,250 donors, disbursements $186,295, ending cash $488,776
- Mark Obenshain (R) – Beginning cash $487,044, receipts $607,362 (including $50,198 in-kind) from 889 donors, disbursements $274,507, ending cash $819,899,
Here are the Hampton Roads contested House of Delegates races:
|Total receipts||In-kind||Loans received||# donors||Cash on hand||Outstanding loans|
|Daniel Foster (L)||998||318||14||797||0|
|Brent VanNorman (I)||0||0||0||9,887||10,000|
|John W. Smith Jr (I)||0||0||80||0|
The next reports, covering September 1 to September 30, will be due October 15.